Dairy Free Fig & Cardamom Chocolate Recipe
Are you feeling adventurous? Try this fig and cardamom chocolate recipe. Deliciously smooth chocolate filled with sweet figs and paired with cardamons citrusy, minty, yet dew-drenched flower-like perfume. Their’s nothing subtle about cardamom, so this chocolate packs a punch!
Cardamon’s perfume pairs SO well with chocolate, and banana too!
“Cardamom, Mair, really?”
“Yes, Just ask the Swedish!”
Scandinavians LOVE cardamom in their baked goods, and who else knows better than the Swedish when it comes to delicious sweet treats.
Here’s a story for you.
When I first visited Sweden, I stumbled upon a little cafe that served a cardamom hot chocolate drink.
I gave it a go and…
BOOM! The flavour was something else.
Utter heaven in a cup.
The sweet warm chocolate with the slightly mentholated cardamom was unreal!
They even put cardamon in their coffee!
I know I put it in my quinoa porridge, but coffee??
But anyway, that’s for another post.
Now let’s talk about flavour!
Cardamon has a complex flavour that’s somewhat difficult to describe.
It has a smokey mint, almost eucalyptus-like flavour with notes of lemon, a flower-like sweetness and a resinous fragrance.
Well heck, I did say it was hard to describe.
All I can say is when you taste and smell the eucalyptus-like perfume, it somewhat calms and pleases the soul.
Yeah, I know, that’s deep even for me.
Cardamom – The Latest “It Spice”
Cardamom spice deserves any accolade a food lover gives it.
Yes, it’s expensive, but It adds layers of flavour in everything from desserts to main courses
But the good news is
You only need a little to impart a BIG flavour.
You’ll notice in this fig and cardamom chocolate recipe, I’ve only used 2 cardamom pods.
And boy does it pack a punch!
The sweet figs pair well with the minty-citrus flavour and then you get these finishing notes of almost herbal bitterness.
To be fair, just try it!
Because its one heck of a flavour to describe.
But I know one thing…
You’ll LOVE it!
Get Figgy With It
So now cardamom is the new trendy spice in town, you best get cracking on this chocolate recipe.
I’d LOVE to know your thoughts.
- 60 g Organic Cacao Powder
- 90 g Organic Cacao Butter
- 60 g Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Organic Ground Cardamom plus more for sprinkling
- 3 Large Organic Dried Figs chopped finely
- Blits the coconut sugar up into a fine dust in your blender.
- Melt the cacao butter slowly in the pan.
- Smell the gorgeous chocolate aroma...mmm.. soz I'm getting carried away 🙂
- Add the cacao powder and then the coconut sugar.
- Mix together nicely.
- Add the chopped figs and cardamom.
- Stir for a few minutes for all the lovely flavours to infuse.
- Pour into your chocolate moulds and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle as much cardamon on top as you desire.
- Put them in the freezer if you want to eat them quickly or leave them on the side to set completely.
Find something to take your mind off them otherwise if you’re like me, then they won’t last 10 minutes in there 🙂
Laters, my cardamom lovers!