Dairy & Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns Recipe – With a Smile
Gotta say, I’m thrilled about this dairy and gluten free hot cross buns recipe! Infused with orange oil, blood orange, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg, make these buns a richly spiced and sweetly pungent treat that brings breakfast to our minds and mouths!
There’s nothing like the sweet spiced aroma of toasted buns in the morning.
Studded with tangy raisins and heaped with lashings of butter and topped with honey…it’s just utter heaven.
I’m salivating just writing about it 😛
Now I’m sure you’ve tried many recipe variations of gluten free hot cross buns before.
But, do you find there’s something always missing?
Well, before you spend another afternoon surfing the web looking for another hot cross buns recipe, just TRY your chance on these hybrids.
I’ve taken the traditional hot cross bun recipe and made quite a few small tweaks.
That said, I’m chuffed about how light and airy the texture is.
The result it produces is mouth satisfyingly delicious. In fact, I bet you’ll LOVE them.
Richly Spice Fruity Infusion
So whats so different? Apart from the obvious smiley faces.
Well, I’ve used the zest of a blood orange and orange oil.
It’s their citrus undertones coupled with the distinct raspberry-like flavour is what makes these buns a HIGHLY sought after treat in my home.
As well as my chocolate orange bars!
Spice wise, I used Steenbergs organic hot cross bun spice mix.
For two reasons.
One, I’m lazy and its quicker and it’s done for me.
Two, they seemed to have created the perfect blend of nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and cloves that just gives these spiced buns a delightful mix of sweet, spicy and fruity flavour and aroma.
Flour wise, I used Doves Farm gluten free flour. If you use a different flour blend, then be sure it only contains tapioca flour, white rice flour and potato starch.
If you use a flour blend that contains medium to heavyweight flours like buckwheat, brown rice flour etc. It may make the buns more crumbly and dry.
But anyway, I can’t wait to hear what you think about these richly spiced smiley buns.
- 8 g Fast Active Yeast
- 100 g Organic Golden Sugar
- 167 ml or 3/4 cup of Dairy Free Milk
- 130 g Raisins or Sultanas
- 2 Large Egg Yolks
- 51 g Ghee Butter
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- 5 Drops of Organic Orange Oil
- 1 Zest of a large Orange
- 400 g Organic Gluten Free Flour
- 1 Tsp Xanthan Gum
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2/3 Tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/2 Tsp Bicarbonate Soda
- 1/4 Tsp Organic All Spice
- 2 Tsp Organic Hot Cross Bun Spices.
- 1/4 Tsp Organic Himalayan Pink Salt
- 4 Tbsp Gluten Free Flour
- 3 Tbsp Warm Water
- In a bowl add your yeast and take 1 Tbsp of sugar from the 54g you've weighed out and add it to the yeast.
- Warm the milk up in your microwave for 1 minute 30sec and pour it over the yeast mix.
- Set aside in a warm place to froth up.
- Soak the raisins in some boiled warm water. Give it a mix and set aside.
- Blitz the remaining sugar up in your blender to a fine dust.
- In a separate bowl, add 2 egg yolks, Ghee butter, Vanilla bean paste, orange oil, the blitz sugar and the orange zest.
- Give it a good mix and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, cream of tartar, bicarbonate of soda, salt, ground allspice and the hot cross bun spice mix.
- Give it a mix about and set aside.
Got back to your wet mixture and add in the yeast mixture. Mix it up well.
Now sieve in the flour mixture and combine well. It should start forming a dough.
- Drain the raisins and add them to your dough mixture.
- Beat the egg whites and fold them into your dough mixture lightly.
- Get a flat baking sheet and line with baking paper.
- Oil your hands a bit.
- Plonk on 8 blobs onto the sheet, share them out equally as best you can.
- Leave about 1/2" gap between them so they can expand.
- Let them stand for 5-10 mins.
- Get some warm water in the bowl and wet your fingers slightly.
Start to shape them into buns. They should be less sticky now.
- Wet your fingers again and smooth over the top.
- Cover lightly with cling film.
- Leave them to rise in a warm area for 1hr. They should double in size.
Mix the flour with the water to make a paste.
- Stick the paste into a piping bag.
- Pipe on your crosses, smileys, stars or whatever shape you wanna do...go on be creative!
- Beat up an egg yolk and lightly brush the tops of the buns.
- Pop them in the oven for 20-22 minutes on 190c. Check them at 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly.
Toast them and add LASHINGS of dairy-free butter and a GOOD dollop of honey, jam or whatever makes you HAPPY!
Eat and enjoy the warm spiced sensation of loveliness 🙂
With a ton of Spring love